One little word change your life. I discovered this concept at Ali Edwards blog and decided to take the challenge myself. The challenge (or tradition as Ali refers to it) is to choose a word that could be a catalyst for enriching your life. A word to focus on, mediate on, pray about, and reflect on in my every day life.
I have thought about this a lot. Prayed about it a lot. And even discussed with James what he thought I should choose as my word. While I didn't choose any of the words he suggested I did incorporate his thoughts into the word I chose. I have already journaled about this in a beautiful journal I was given years ago.
I decided that this year my word will be FOCUS.
Focus ~ on God, growing myself spiritually by reading my bible daily, studying the Word more consistently and having a consistent, focused prayer life. There are times that I fall short in these areas and so I want to renew my commitment to my Lord.
Focus ~ on my family, by being calmer, more compassionate with the boys and James (when they hurt or are sick - trust me I am no Florence Nightengale :O)) Keep the tone of my voice less sharp especially when irritated. Do all things without complaining or disputing comes to my mind when I think on this. Be present and in the moment when I am spending time with them.
Focus ~ on health and wellness. Mine, by exercising 3-5 times a week, eating less junk and processed food. Eating more whole clean foods, more fruits and veggies and making more from scratch (I get better at this every year which helps with my family's health as well)
Focus ~ on growing myself in my craft. Trying new techniques, step out of my box, make my craft pay for itself. Update my etsy shop with new products frequently, make my display for our local Art Center and keep it up to date. Make at least 1-2 projects a week - not just cards. Work on being published by submitting to magazines or websites. This will challenge me to learn new techniques and continue to improve.
Focus ~ on our finances. Manage our money better, put more in savings, spend less on crafting (hence making the crafting pay for itself) and junk food (eating whole foods and those made from scratch). Less waste in our home, do without if it is NOT necessary. Think about purchases longer - no spontaneous spur of the moment purchase, especially high-ticket items. We don't usually do these things but with Christmas just barely behind us I always resolve to improve our stewardship of the monetary blessings we have received. I will also substitute teach 2-3 times a week to give us money for eating out, trips and crafting.
Focus ~ on less clutter. Continue cleaning out the house, taking things to the Thrift Store that we no longer need or want. Organize better so we know what we have. Keep my studio desk clean - this should also help me to be more productive when crafting.
Focus ~ on mentoring younger women with kind words and actions. No complaining about where we live, how small the base is, how much air pollution, how bad the school is etc. Really easy to listen to one person complain and add your own. So I am resolving to Focus on the positive and stay away from the negative. In doing this I hope to encourage those young women who are going through deployment or deployements with young children at home and living in a foreign country away from family. I want to encourage others by offering Crafting classes, sending cards, and freely giving encouraging words and prayers.
These are my thoughts for now. I will continue thinking on this, praying about this, and probably dreaming about it as well. I will do my best to work on being FOCUSED this year. What are your thoughts? Is there a word that comes to mind for YOU to implement? Think on it and let me know - we can keep each other accountable.
Thanks for sticking with me thus far.
edited to add I forgot this one thought when typing up my thoughts on One Word.
Focus ~ on digital scrapbooking. Record more of our memories with journaling, take more pictures including everyday life, not just the special occasions. My wonderfully sweet, loving husband got me Photoshop Elements and gave me a HOMEMADE gift certificate good for and digital scrapbooking classes of my choice. So I have no excuses not to learn how to do this. My software came with a class and I signed up for two Jessica Sprague digital scrapbooking classes. I am ready to go - just need to take the time to start.
Harvest Fest Collection - Day 2
2 years ago

2 comments:
Awesome choice for 2010. I think you will do well.
Your post is just another reason why I am convinced God gave me the best girlfriends in the whole world! They all strive so deeply to know Him, to grow with Him and to Serve Him. I do love you so much!
Post a Comment