blog background

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Encouraging words...

Today was another amazing joint service at church today. It is the last week of Italian vacations. Traditionally the entire month of August is when Italians go on vacation. So while the church is down in numbers due to this tradition, our church has been holding joint services. The Ghanans join us for the morning Italian service. All parts of our service are held in Italian and Twi and some English. The service runs a little longer because most things are said 3 times.

The best part, however, is the song service. Today, Stefano led songs in Italian and I think Abraham led the singing in Twi and English. Of course, we follow along in the Italian song book the best we can. We enjoy the English portion as well. We do not know the songs they sing in Twi but it is so encouraging to sit and listen to them sing. There is so much power and emotion in their voices that it brings tears to my eyes. Words really cannot say how moving it is to be a part of a worship service like that.

When talking to Sakyi Fastfriend, a Ghanan brother in Christ, he told me about some videos on youtube.com. I am posting the link here so that you can listen to this amazing music.Ghanan concert

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

PS. We had a BBQ at our house last week and many of these people came to our house to fellowship. In the front row the tall guy with the glasses is Sakyi, the gentleman on the far end is Isaac, the guy in the "toga" also came to our home but I cannot remember his name right now. And, YES, the ladies do dress like that for church in their traditional Ghanan attire.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I know exactly what you mean, we joined a South African Mission Church for a couple years and I was there in 1991 for a visit as well. Just to have an idea how they sound click Zulu Song