blog background

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Going Home

Today as I sit here in Kansas City International airport I am thinking about what it means to go home. It means sleeping in my own bed, using my own bathroom and shower, not having to explain to everyone why I am not there but instead am going to be X, Y or Z. Not looking at disappointed faces and listening to combative thoughts from sad or angry people. It means being able to relax and just spend time with my family. Ah...I am so ready to relax with my guys.

Sitting here I also am able to just enjoy my kids as they are. Caleb is a few aisles away doing what he does best ~ namely making babies happy. So heart-warming to hear him being silly just for the chance at making a small child laugh. He is just so good with little ones. Jared is sitting here making comments on the game he is playing and also bragging about how much of his book he read on the first flight. They really are such great kids.

I feel sad that the past two weeks of "visiting" family one last time before heading to Italy meant not really spending quality time with the kids. There were so many issues to take care of that it wasn't always possible. Many people who wanted to see us and many whom we wanted to see. Some understood why we couldn't spend more time with them, some spent their time being grumpy and disappointed and some just accepted the small amount of time we had. I am glad that we were able to see our family but wish that we would have had more time to just sit and chat, instead of arguing, play games, take walks ~ basically just enjoy each other. Perhaps we will be able to do that next time.

The next few weeks are sure to pass in a whirlwind. We should be receiving our visas soon and then the real fun begins. Before that happens though we will be going through the house, brutally if necessary and clearing things out. Clothes, books, toys (kids and adults) will be really thought about before deciding that they are indeed coming with us to Italy. I have already started cleaning out my stamping supplies and clothes. The boys have grown pretty fast lately so we don't have much to go through clothing wise for them. Just their toys and books and "collections". We have decided to put some items in storage this time. Our new washer, dryer and vacuum, most 120 electric items as well as the baby books, blankets and toys that we are saving for the grandkids some day. That will help as there isn't always a good place to store things when living overseas.

I am also in the process of starting a new home business. It is for Bagolita bags. They are so cute and well built and AMERICAN made. Can't wait. I finished all the paperwork and got it submitted yesterday. I am starting this new venture with my great friend "C". She is totally excited too! Should be a lot of fun and a great hit in Italy. I will have a website too for purchasing the bags which I will post when everything is up and running.

There is probably so much more I could say and I know I am just overflowing with all kinds of conflicting emotions due to this trip and our upcoming move. I am so thrilled with the opportunity to go back overseas. Praying that this job will be a great one for James (almost anything though will be better than what he has currently). I am also very excited about working with the Italian church and the missionaries that are there spreading the gospel to the people of Vicenza. What a wonderful opportunity. We did pray that James would get a job in a place where we are needed for God's work so this seems to be an answer to that prayer. We are already in contact with 2 different missionary families that are located there. What a wonderful learning & serving opportunity for us all but especially the boys. A great way to learn God's word too ~ they say no one learns as much as the teacher does. I am also saddened that some of our family has taken this move as a personal affront to them. In truth this is a great opportunity for our family - a way for us to have more family time, James to have a job he truly enjoys, a way for us to help spread God's word and to travel. This is all about what is good for our family. We tried finding a job for James that was closer to family but none materialized. This was it. So we are thankful for this and just grateful for this opportunity.

God's blessing to all of you who continue to follow me on this wide and meandering trail of my random thoughts. Thanks for sticking it out with me. Now that our trip is over I hope to be a little more regular at posting here. See ya soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a sad exciting time isn't it? Thinking about you guys tons while you were away. I want to hear more about this bag business of yours! I have been doing some stamping lately. Want to do more soon, but life is such a whirlwind here too. We seem frantic...working on slowing that down. love you guys...K

:::b r a n d i::: said...

ooooh, I'm totally intrigued by the bag business! I must see pics soon!

I'm glad you guys had a good trip but sorry that it wasn't as relaxing as you would have liked. More trips are like that though...unless you're floating on a gondola in Italy or exploring Paris that is. ha!