So today had an odd start to it...I awoke at 4:17 this morning for no particular reason. Maybe I had to use the restroom? Maybe because the arch of my left foot had an itch that just wouldn't quit. Whatever the reason I just lay in bed trying to not roll around to much and awaken James. However, just when I thought I would sneak out of bed and go downstairs to read or watch tv, James rolled over and said "Whatcha doin'?" When I told him I couldn't sleep he said he couldn't either. After a few moments of discussion we turned the news on. A few minutes of watching that and we decided to get up and get started on our day. James made it to work this morning around 6:30 am. He actually did have work to do that would be made easier when fewer people were at work.
Did a little reading, caught up on a program or two I had missed. Worked on my bible study and read through a few websites I like to go to. A semi-productive start to the day. Oh and I also got a few cards stamped and colored with my new favorite toy - Copic markers. That was fun and relaxing.
The boys have great friends in Germany who are on Spring Break this week and called early this morning to play WII together. They really enjoyed that and it did enable me to do all the above undisturbed. When they took a break for some reason, dinner I think, the boys and I did our bible reading, a little discussion and then it was time to play again.
I use Sonlight curriculum for our homeschooling journey. Great company with books that really help you learn about history in a way that encourages a love of reading and learning. As a matter of fact we are a little ahead in some of our readings (we read a chapter or two (or 3) of several books each day to learn about a particular subject). This year we are on Core 6 - Eastern Hemisphere. We are currently studying India and its people and cultures. We finished reading about Gandhi yesterday (a day ahead of time) and are currently enjoying Shadow Spinner. This story follows a young girl in the harem of the Sultan in "Arabian Nights". She is trying to get stories for the Sultan's wife because it has been almost 3 years of nightly stories and the Sultan's wife is out of stories. As you might remember the stories are what is keeping the Sultan's wife alive. We are well over a week ahead in that book because the boys just can't stand it when I only read one chapter. Don't mind being ahead I enjoy the stories just as much as they do. And since we will be packing out next week we may not have much time for reading or school work until we move into the hotel. (I plan to catch up there and maybe even move ahead again - depends on how good the book is.) They are supposed to be reading Around the World in 80 Days on their own but we are using that as our family Read-Aloud. I read in the evenings and whenever we are off driving somewhere (captive audience then).
Now on to the title of my post. The boys have books they read on their own and I usually pre-read them so that I know what they have read. This enables me to ask questions and ascertain whether or not they actually read a book. Well, in the process of preparing for the move I fell behind by 4 books. Today, I read one of those 4 books. Short book but an excellent story. It is The Incredible Journey. If you have seen the movie Homeward Bound this is the book that it was based on. Excellent and involves just as many tears as the movie did. It is funny, every time I see that movie I am moved to tears. Even though I know the ending it still brings me to a huge lump in my throat and actual tears - not just moist eyes, mind you. This story does the same. I "knew" what was going to happen based on watching the movie yet I was still moved. I wonder is that due to heightened emotions because of the changes coming? Not sure but I definitely recommend anyone picking up this book and giving it a read. It is only 147 pages and I finished it in about 2 hours. Wonderful story!
Three more days and the GREAT PACK-OUT, as I have taken to calling it, begins. This weekend will be a flurry of activity making sure that everything is separated and ready for "its" shipment. Oh what joy! Two things will make tomorrow better before we start the activities of separating - First, tomorrow is the Spring Free Movie at our local theater (nice, brand new theater) and it is going to be the Tale of Despereaux. We recently listened to the audio book and enjoyed the story. We do know that the movie strays from the story but it is free and could be enjoyable. The second thing is I will be going to my LSS (local scrapbook store) to look at, touch, smell, etc. and just generally enjoy myself all the stamping and scrapbooking supplies just in case I "need" anything that should be packed up and shipped (James' words not mine). I am really going with my 30% off coupon for some black ink that works really well with my Copic markers. Maybe I will find something else that catches my eye too. At any rate I do like just walking around and looking. So that will be my "fun" before the work starts.
Off to spend some family time with the guys before I crash. My 4:30 am wake up time is starting to catch up with me!!!
Good night and sleep tight.
A
Harvest Fest Collection - Day 2
2 years ago

1 comment:
Shadow Spinner is neck and neck with the Golden Goblet as my favorite all time book EVER! Mara, Daughter of the Nile is number 3! Make sure you read that one aloud....amazing book. Can't believe you are leaving. I miss you already. Headed to stamp...love you, Kellie
Post a Comment