blog background

Thursday, December 3, 2009

December 2 - Bartholomew's Passage




Every year since 2000 we have read Advent stories to get our hearts and minds ready for Christmas. We read a series of stories written by Arnold Yreeide. Jotham's Journey is the first one, followed by Bartholomew's Passage and Tabitha's Travels is the last one. This year it is Bartholomew's Passage's turn to be read. The books were out of print for about 5 years but have recently been republished. Well, that is, Jotham's Journey was republished last year and Bartholomew's Passage this year. Next year, Tabitha's Travels is scheduled to be republished. Fortunately, I purchased mine prior to them going out of print. I am purchasing copies though as they are released so that the boys will have a copy to read to their families when the time comes.

Part of our tradition is the lighting of the candles. The boys take turns lighting the candles and this year they are taking turns at reading the story out loud. Normally, I read the entire story except for maybe a day or two out loud. However, this year I lost my voice the day after Thanksgiving so I had James read the first day. I read the second day, Jared the third and Caleb the fourth. I think we will continue in this way. Gives the boys a chance to practice reading aloud and gives my voice a break.

I highly recommend these books. They are great stories that follow the children, Jotham, Bartholomew and Tabitha on harrowing journeys that culminate in the Messiah's birth. Full of action, adventure and a bit of humor, lots of historical tidbits, and every day's reading is followed with a "moral" of the story or things to think on.

No comments: