blog background

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Joys of a Military Community

Yesterday I blogged about one of the Woes of the Military and that was the housing issues. Today I want to let you know about the joys of living in a community like this. Many of you may have never experienced anything like this but those of you who have ever been a part of the military community know all about this....

It is the ease with which you can make friends. Not only the ease but how others go out of their way to meet you, help you and make you comfortable and part of what is going on. One example I already gave you and that was Ann coming by and meeting me because a friend we made via the internet asked her to. Then she helped by taking me grocery shopping (so I wouldn't have to walk back to the hotel while carrying bags of groceries - not really far but those bags get heavy after a couple of blocks.)

Another example: My good friend "K", emailed me about her friend "T". "T" and I then corresponded via email. (I am using ititials because I don't have permission to give out my friends names - forgot to ask). I corresponded with "T" for several weeks or maybe even a couple of months while in Indiana and then several times here. I was supposed to be getting to meet her but unfortunately her father passed away and she went back to the US for that. However, before she left for the US, she asked two of her friends, "D" & "K", if she could pass their info on to me. Both are getting ready to move back to the US and said yes she could. Then I emailed both of them. "D" called me the next morning and said, "Hey, I am on base would you like to meet?" So she came by the hotel and we just visited for awhile. Then she asked me if I would like to come to her crafting day with some other ladies. I said sure. So on Friday, "D" came back onto the base to pick me up and take me to "T" (penguin lover)'s house (different "T" than the first one). I took the stamping supplies that I had brought in my suitcase with me. Two of the regulars were unable to make it. But I should be meeting them next week. Later in the afternoon, "I" came by and we visited with her as well.

So here is what I wanted to explain to you...In the non-military community you are considered the new person for a really long time. You are not always readily accepted and people tend to hold you at arm's length for quite a while until they know if you are a steady fixture in their life or not. Sometimes it takes years to break into a community - as my aforementioned friend "K" knows. ("K" tells a story in her blog about going to a homeschool meeting or classes and one person points out another person to her and refers to that person as the new girl. "K" having only been there 9 months asks well how long has she been there? The answer? 4 Years!!!) This does not happen in the military community. I have been on base for 13 days and I have already met several people who I would consider friends.

Even though "D" is leaving in less than 2 months, she has reached out to me. She invited me to a friendly crafting day with her friends. The person's house that we went to is also going to be moving soon as well as the third friend that arrived later in the day. Yet, not one of them wasn't interested in forming a friendship with me just because I was coming in while they were on their way out. Not only that but they welcomed me with open arms. Shared their thoughts and opinions with me, offered me help, readily gave me their cell phone numbers so I could call if I needed anything. In addition I was invited back for next week's Play Date (ladies crafting time) and any field trips they take. That is a great welcome when you arrive in a new place and a NEW COUNTRY.

"D" even brought me a bag of books that will be helpful here Italy. Language books, touring books, etc. She also emailed today and asked if we would like for her to come get us so that we could get off of the base for awhile. Since we do not have a car yet we are quite limited on what we are able to do and this will be a welcome change.

So, thank you. Thank you ladies of the Vicenza military community. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules to invite a new person into your group and make her feel like she is welcome. I appreciate being welcomed in even by those who are busy making plans and preparing for their own move out of here. In many places, especially those not associated with a military community, people who are in the middle of a move are too busy to even try to make new friends. Not here. Here, they welcome you in, introduce you to their friends and offer you all the help you need to get started in a new community.

What a blessing! Thanks ladies! I love it!

Ciao for now.

Angy

2 comments:

:::b r a n d i::: said...

i'm so glad you are finding ladies to befriend and stamp with! I know it helps the transition!

Anonymous said...

Love you, girl! Need to get intouch with 'T'! YIKES! I didn't know!