blog background

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Birthday parties, V-Day and more

Well, we have our flight reservations for going to see our family. It will be a frenzied time of running hither and yon trying to get everyone seen without hurting anyone's feelings. Going to be hard to do. But it will be nice to see everyone and how they are doing.

So look out family here we come.

On Friday, when James came home from work he pulled from behind his back two bunches of flowers. They were so pretty and I was so thrilled. I didn't expect it at all (we normally don't do much to celebrate Valentine's Day). AND THEN he pulled out of the grocery back a package of snack sized SPECIAL DARK CHOCOLATE bars. Man, was I in heaven. The perfect little pick me up! It was so wonderful. That morning I had presented the boys (due to the birthday party and sleep over) little boxes full of candy and a card for Valentine's Day. I normally don't do that but thought that I should put my card making skills to use for my guys, too and not just friends. I found cute little boxes in the $1 spot at Target and then filled then with their favorite candies. They really enjoyed it.

Friday night went well. That was Caleb's birthday party and sleep over. The boys were up until midnight (when I made them go to bed) just playing video games and talking. It was great. The noise level was a little higher than normal but nothing excessive especially considering that there were 5 boys in the house instead of the normal two. I think the kids had a great time. They went through 3 extra large pizzas and 2 liters of soda (yep that is it only 2). Only one or two boys even ate the birthday cake. There wasn't even a mess to clean up afterwards - not really. Just plates in the trash, no spilled soda or food on the floor (except for where Jared ate cake while trying to watch the tv). Then Saturday morning when the boys got up they were quietly playing games on the computer or the Playstation while James and I (mostly James) fixed breakfast for them. James made his famous Chocolate Chip pancakes (made with L-O-V-E) and they went through quite a few. I think he tripled the recipe. We took pictures of the party and breakfast, etc. I hope to get those uploaded from the camera to the computer and posted within a day or two.

On Saturday, Valentine's Day, we headed to Alexandria, IN for "A"'s birthday party. They bowled at a small bowling alley in town. After the bowling party we headed back to the church for the Sweetheart Banquet. We were honoring those who had been married for longer than 30 years. There were 11 reservations made but due to a new grandchild the night before one couple wasn't able to make it. However, the 10 that did make it were treated like royalty. The tables were decorated beautifully, pictures of old couples every where (the theme was Famous Couples)(Lucy & Ricky, June & Ward, Fred & Wilma, Cleopatra & Marc Antony, etc.) My boys actually volunteered to be servers (no I did not twist their arms or bribe them - I just asked if they wanted to help). Each server had two couples to take care of... they took their orders, brought their drinks, salads, meals and dessert, cleaning the table in between courses. They did a great job and I know the couples appreciated it.

After the meal they separated the couples into men and women and took them into different rooms to answer some questions. They then brought them back together to play the Oldlywed Game (instead of the Newlywed Game). What fun that was. The questions asked, the faces that were made, indignant replies. I really wish we had video taped it. One couple (probably one of the oldest married) had just priceless looks on their faces. Bob would just shake his head with this disappointed look when Gladys would get a answer wrong. Too funny - just the look on his face. And he met her in the watermelon patch. Another couple who was there was Norm and Dortha (their daughter was the in the couple who couldn't come due to a new grandchild)(so you know they were married a long time to have a daughter married over 30 years). I just loved listening to them "argue" over their answers. One in particular had me burst out loud laughing. The question for her was how does he put his socks and shoes on - sock, then shoe, then sock, then shoe OR both socks, then both shoes. (While in the room with them while they were being asked this question I wondered aloud "who actually does that?") So he is asked the question and he answers very definitively, as if there is NO OTHER WAY - ONE sock, ONE shoe, ONE sock, ONE shoe. Dortha justs turns and looks at him and says, "Now that is just ridiculous, who does that?" She just kept telling him that was so silly and did he really put his socks and shoes on like that? A great time was had by all and I am glad that we (James and I) decided to stay (we were just supposed to drop the kids off to serve).

Thanks for coming to visit. Leave a comment and let me know what you would like to hear about....

1 comment:

:::b r a n d i::: said...

Sounds like the banquet was a lot of fun! The way I put on my socks and shoes varies...if I am putting them on at the same time, I do it one sock, one shoe, one sock, one shoe. However if it's cold and I put my socks on just out of the shower in the morning, then the shoes are the last thing I put on before I leave for work. Nick would be a 2 socks then 2 shoes guy because he never wonders around barefoot.