I am posting my soup recipe here... I mentioned my soup on facebook and here and everyone is asking for the recipe. So here it is...
Potato Chowder with Green Chiles
1 large red bell pepper
4 large poblano chile peppers
5 cups chicken broth
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Broil bell pepper and chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered.
Place peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers; remove and discard seeds. Coarsely chop peppers.
Bring chopped roasted peppers, chicken broth, and next 5 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour and next 3 ingredients until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in half-and-half.
Stir white sauce and milk into chicken broth mixture; cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Sprinkle each serving evenly with cheese, bacon, and green onions.
I want to reiterate that I sauteed the green onions in the bacon grease before sprinkling over the soup. I love the flavor this imparts! Definite hit and I will be making this again and again and again. I thought that this was my friend Andrea's recipe but she says NO. Sorry I do not know who to give the credit for this. I guess I will claim it is mine now ;-) Shhh - don't tell anyone.
I also want to add that I am so thankful for my life and safety. Right after I left I69 today there was a 25 car accident in which 2 people died, one is in critical condition, 11 were taken to hospitals and the interstate was closed for 7+ hours. This accident happened seconds after I passed the area. My heart was in my throat as I read about it on the news. (I had heard about it through customers coming in to have prescriptions filled but didn't know where the accident was) Here is a link to the accident report with video http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/region_1/Major_accident_closes_69
Sending praises to my father that even with so many vehicles involved there weren't more injuries and fatalities. For those of you who read my blog but don't live in Indiana. Today we were expecting 1-2 inches of snow and just flurries for the day. However around 8 am it started snowing and by 10 am we had over 3 inches. The wind was also blowing so hard that on my drive to work visibility was down to almost nothing and many people were still driving too fast without their lights now. Very dangerous (this would be the main reason that I usually pray all the way to work - besides it being a nice, quiet, convienient time).
Anyway, thanks again for reading and Enjoy the Soup! You will not regret trying it, I promise!!!!
A***
Harvest Fest Collection - Day 2
2 years ago

1 comment:
Wow...read the article and watched the footage from that accident! You are very fortunate that you were not caught up in that. How terrible!
Post a Comment